Robert J. Burford
Marketing/External Relations Coordinator and Weekend Announcer, University Communications and Marketing and WKSU, Kent Campus
Burford writes and distributes press releases, pitches Kent State stories to the media and handles media inquiries, assists with events, researches and writes magazine and Web content, and serves as Saturday announcer for WKSU, Kent State’s NPR affiliate.
- Favorite book and or movie: A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole
- Hobbies: Collecting rock and roll and Beatles memorabilia, going to concerts, organizing the Kent Blues Fest and writing music articles for Kent Patch
Associate Professor, Department of Nutrition
Caine-Bish is a registered and licensed dietitian.
- Favorite book and or movie: Book, depends on the year. I read anything in front of me; Movie: Overall, comedies
- Hobbies: Hiking, skiing, traveling, reading
Wellness Coordinator, Division of Human Resources
As the university wellness coordinator, Decker is responsible for the implementation of a five-year comprehensive strategic plan for wellness.
- Favorite book and or movie: The Harry Potter series; Movies: Cool Runnings and The Polar Express
- Hobbies: Watching my daughter grow and experience new things, coaching soccer, planning parties, trying craft projects I find on Pinterest
DiVencenzo is responsible for tax reporting and compliance. She manages the Kent State – VITA program (IRS free tax filing service). She is a board member and audit committee chair for Community Support Services. She also is a member of the Community Leadership Board of the American Diabetes Association.
- Favorite book and or movie: No Storm Lasts Forever by Dr. Terry Gordon (book); Movie: We Bought a Zoo
- Hobbies: Photography, scrapbooking, knitting, camping, reading, ATV’s
Coordinator, Office of Health Promotion, University Health Services
Dotterer is coordinator of the Office of Health Promotion, which helps to address high-priority college health issues by providing ongoing special events, programs and services that promote and support health-enhancing behavior among students and the campus community.
- Favorite book and or movie: Book: Raise the Titanic; Movie: The Shawshank Redemption
- Hobbies: Recreational /sports activities
As executive chef, Fiala is responsible for the operation of the Schwebel Room kitchen, including menu development and quality control.
- Favorite book and or movie: The Omnivore’s Dilemma by Michael Pollan
- Hobbies: Gardening, cycling
Professor, Department of Exercise Physiology, Kent Campus
Glickman is the undergraduate and graduate coordinator for the Department of Exercise Physiology.
- Favorite book and or movie: Moby Dick
- Hobbies: Running, golf, walking, bicycling
Outdoor Adventure Coordinator, Department of Recreational Services
Herpy oversees the operation of the Adventure Center at the Student Recreation and Wellness Center, which includes the indoor climbing wall, outdoor rental center, adventure trips and outdoor instruction program, teambuilding and leadership challenges program, Crooked River Adventures canoe/kayak livery, and the Flashfleet bike sharing program.
- Favorite book and or movie: Into the Wild
- Hobbies: Biking, cross-country skiing, golfing, hiking, kayaking, running and spending quality time with my wife, Courtney, son, Jacob, and daughter, Kelsey
Associate Professor, Department of Psychology, Kent Campus
Hughes is a faculty member in the Department of Psychology. His research interests are in clinical health psychology. He specializes in cardiovascular psychophysiology.
- Favorite book and or movie: Too hard to answer. Perhaps The Lord of the Rings for both categories.
- Hobbies: Fishing, brewing beer, making wine, camping, eating, cooking, eating my cooking
Kim directs the administrative, instructional, operational and technological aspects of the New York City Studio as an academic education-away program/facility to support Kent State’s fashion design and merchandising curricula, as well as academic outreach programs. Kim advises students and clients, coordinates and implements recruitment, marketing and development activities for the New York City Studio and its education-away programs.
- Favorite book and or movie: Forty Rules of Love, One Hundred Years of Solitude, and Memoirs of Geisha; Movies: Cinema Paradiso, Love Actually, Sprited Away and Amelie
- Hobbies: Vintage/antique shopping, running, swimming, cooking, planting, interior decorating, painting, knitting, restaurant hopping, traveling and volunteering
Myers supports the associate provost, provost fellow and the associate V.P. for academic budget.
- Favorite book and or movie: Various books– including Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand, The Hotel at the Corner of Bitter and Sweet by Jamie Ford, and The People of the Book by Geraldine Brooks, Wait Till Next Year by Doris Kearns Goodwin, The Faith Club by Ranya Idliby, Suzanne Oliver and Priscilla Warner; Movies: Saving Private Ryan, Gone with the Wind
- Hobbies: Gardening
Ph.D., Assistant Professor of Health Policy and Management, College of Public Health, Kent Campus
Oglesby conducts research and teaches courses in healthcare and health policy.
- Favorite book and or movie: Alien movies
- Hobbies: Watching movies
Pegg-Kirby loves that in her position, every day is different. She collaborates with groups on campus and in the community to raise awareness about women’s issues. She also helps women on campus navigate through challenging life issues while holding down the fort at the Women’s Center for yoga classes, the food pantry and community groups. Another important aspect of her job is to find ways to recognize and celebrate the amazing women of the Kent State community.
- Favorite book and or movie: My favorite book is Zen Shorts by Jon Muth. It is a kids’ book but contains so much wisdom for adults as well; my favorite movie is Cold Comfort Farm
- Hobbies: Finding the extraordinary in the ordinary, upcycling and creating new things out of items on hand, anything artistic and creative to do with my family
Associate Professor, School of Foundations, Leadership and Administration, Kent Campus
Scheule teaches classes in the hospitality management undergraduate program, and the hospitality and tourism graduate program. She researches and publishes in areas of food, food science and issues related to food service management. Scheule serves as coordinator of the hospitality management program.
- Favorite book and or movie: My favorite books are well-written and thought-provoking fiction. As for movies – keep it light and fun
- Hobbies: Time with family and taking care of our vegetable garden and flowers
Terleckyj serves in the Human Resources Records department, which handles employee changes, new hires, promotions, etc. She keeps track of metrics and also works on special projects for the department.
- Favorite book and or movie: I have a hard time picking a favorite book. My last read book was Revolutionary Road, which was very good. For movies, I like comedies, especially romantic comedies. Anything heartfelt that makes me laugh.
- Hobbies: “Momming,” gardening, photography, jogging, Zumba, arts and crafts, scrapbooking, reading and shopping
Associate Professor, Human Development and Family Studies, Salem Campus
Toepfer teaches and conducts research at Kent State. Recently, Toepfer conducted research showing writing letters
of gratitude benefits the author’s well-being by increasing happiness and life satisfaction and decreasing depressive symptoms.
- Favorite book and or movie: It’s impossible for me to pick a favorite book as I love a wide variety of works. So, I’ll go with the book that taught me to love reading – The Hobbit, by J.R.R. Tolkien. It’s not academic but I can make the case that without The Hobbit I would not have pursued academics.
- Hobbies: Distance running, reading, writing fiction, computer gaming, Photoshop and more!
Effie A. Tsengas
Communications and Marketing Director, College of the Arts, Kent Campus
Tsengas oversees all marketing, publicity and public relations efforts on behalf of the five units within the College of the Arts – Art, Fashion, Music, Theatre and Dance and the Kent State University Museum.
- Favorite book and or movie: Favorite books include The Glass Castle by Jeanette Walls, Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand, She’s Come Undone by Wally Lamb, and Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides,
- Hobbies: I love to work
Lecturer, Department of Economics, Kent Campus
Zemljic teaches undergraduate economics courses in the Department of Economics.
- Favorite book and or movie: Book: Capitalism and Freedom;Movie: The Matrix
- Hobbies: Reading, traveling, dancing, renovating houses
Boltz serves as the function lead or stakeholder on technology projects that impact the Division of Enrollment Management and Student Affairs, especially involving the student module of Banner. She prioritizes projects with counterparts in Academic Affairs that involve Information Services, responds to data requests for departments within the division without Cognos support, advises and consults on data needs and process solutions for departments. Boltz is chair of several campus groups, including her division’s United Way campaign.
- Favorite book and or movie: Can’t have just one…. To Kill a Mockingbird with Gregory Peck, Pat and Mike with Katherine Hepburn and Spencer Tracey
- Hobbies: Being with and chasing after five grandchildren, volunteering, reading, watching old movies
Director of New Media, Athletics Department, Kent Campus
Carducci uses new media to help the Kent State Athletics Department tell its story.
- Favorite book and or movie: The Caring Classroom; Cinema Paradiso
- Hobbies: Reading, travel, golf, poker
Kent R. Glaus
Program director, Viticulture and Enology, Ashtabula Campus
Glaus oversees the wine degrees programs, including working with faculty, recruiting and reviewing instructors, interacting with industry stakeholders, recruiting and advising students and teaching select program courses.
- Favorite book and or movie: Book: Collected Works of St. John of the Cross; Movie: Top Gun
- Hobbies: Travel, collecting and restoring antique metal ware (brass, copper, bronze), creating stained glass windows and artwork, brewing, winemaking
Sadly, Dr. Kent Glaus passed away on Dec. 20, 2012.
Jivan creates video content for Kent State University’s various multimedia outlets.
- Favorite book and or movie: Back to the Future
- Hobbies: Filmmaking
Assistant Director of Marketing, Alumni Relations, Kent Campus
Kuntzman develops and implements marketing plans for the Department of Alumni Relations’ events and services, and manages the acquisition and retention of members in the Kent State University Alumni Association.
- Hobbies: Spending time with friends and family, kettlebell, pilates, baking and shoe shopping
Executive Director-Media Relations, University Communications and Marketing, Kent Campus
Mansfield serves as the university’s spokesman and public relations team leader.
- Favorite book and or movie: Anything written by Brad Meltzer; and Saving Private Ryan
- Hobbies: Acoustic guitar, running, sports
Wyckoff oversees employee-related communications from the Division of Human Resources, and Office of the General Counsel. She manages the university’s staff recognition programs and events.
- Favorite book and or movie: Sleepless in Seattle and The Way We Were (I’m a hopeless romantic); Chicago (the musical and the movie).
- Hobbies: Walking, cooking, gardening and shopping!